Yay!! It's Summertime! Well depending on where you are in the world that is!!! If you live in the tropics, well it's always warm beachy weather. For those of us who live in temperate countries with varying timezones, this is for some of us, the best season of the year. It's all about the light single-layer clothing, warm weather, water sports, the beach, the lake, and lounging by the pool. Tanning is also on the agenda too!! Some of us hit the gym hard to get in shape for this time of year!
Great! So how do we enjoy the sun without the 'meltdown'? Skin care is most important during this season, especially when you are going to be out in the sun for extended periods of time. Time goes by so quickly when you're having fun and before you know it, hours would have passed!!!! The sunlight provides us with a generous helping of vitamin D when exposed to its UVB (ultra violet) B rays, but over-exposure to the sun's rays puts you at risk for skin cancer, this is why the use of sunblock is stressed by skin care health professionals. However, the use of sunblock/sunscreen does not stop the skin from being burnt/tanned, but it will NOT get damaged.
Tips for enjoying the sunshine, without the risk:
- Do use a sunblock that is waterproof/resistant. These are usually 50-80SPF. SPF (sun protecting factor) - this gives you the protection as per the number of times multiplied by minutes you would be exposed to the sunshine. i.e. If you wear a sunscreen or moisturizer with sunscreen that has a SPF of 50, and you spend 10mins in the sun, this means that you would be able to be out in the sun 50x10mins (500mins) , before your skin gets sun burn.
- If you want a tan and prefer not to risk the one from the sun, then you can opt for the services of a tanning salon, or airbrush tanning. Yeah, they're fake tans, but without the risk of skin damage! These services however may turn out to be quite expensive, so you can also try those DIY(do-it-youself) tanning lotions that you can purchase at a pharmacy, department, or convenience store. The disadvantanges here are that you may not get an even application, so be sure to ask someone to help you apply; and these lotions may transfer to your clothing or wash off easily.
- Keep yourself mucho hydrated, and this is not just for summertime or when it's hot, but all year through. Keeping your body hydrated has many benefits, including weight management, detoxifying your entire body, helping to keep your muscles pliable when exercising and maintaining the skin's natural healthy glow.
- Wear a hat that has a brim, this further helps to keep the face protected from the scorching sun. Your facial moisturizer should contain a SPF of AT MOST 25. Higher than that can cause irritation especially in the eye area. DO NOT APPLY SUNSCREEN TO YOUR EYELIDS!!! Use a hair lotion that contains an SPF. Depending on your SPF strength and capabilities, you may need to reapply as necessary especially if you are sweating or in the water.
- Last but not least, wear your sunglasses, preferably one with UV protection.
Enjoy your time in the sunshine....